July 30th, 2013

Home Office Reno

Posted by Laurel

Oh friends…i cannot tell you just how happy i am that my home office reno is DONE! I’ve been moving at a snail’s pace to transform it from its former pitiful self into a room that i can feel inspired and creative in. Doing the happy dance!

office8

I posted awhile back on all my unfinished projects in the hopes that it would light the fire that i needed to get ‘er done. It worked. Everytime i’d settle into complacency, one of you would ask where i was at. Kick!

Just to remind you, here’s what the office looked like pre-reno. Argg..don’t judge ok? It was the literal catch-all in our house. Why did i question the cluttered, unsettled feeling i had everytime i went to sit down at the computer? Duhhh.

office reno

office reno6

Terrible. On my part. How i found anything in that room mystifies me.

Dark walls, dark furniture, and odds and sods that were never used, but i didn’t know where else to house them. Project “Purge” was done in one sitting…and i’ll just say it got worse before it got better!

The next step was to rip out the old carpet, replace it with a porcelain tile floor (i love this floor…it still exudes warmth and character despite its hard surface) and paint the walls a warm white to give a blank canvas on which i could personalize.

office7

A clean workspace with only items i need keeps things unfussy…physically, but also in my head! The desk, console and cubicle shelving (all from Haute Look) provide ample storage so everything has a home. And who says filing cabinets need to be boring? This lime green one keeps my paperwork close at hand, but out of sight.

office2

office11

A little original art by Melina was a perfect fit for the little corner of colour…

office14

office5

office15

office17

One project down and two more coming to the blog shortly. I’m taking my house by storm!

18 Responses

1. Renee says:

I LOVE it! Great job. Very inspiring.

2. Jessica says:

So in love with this room! Awesome job:)

3. Nice job! I love how light and bright everything is.

Ps. It was lovely meeting you and your sister at Alt Summit!

4. Brenda says:

Doesn’t it feel so good Laurel to get this done?!?! I know the feeling ;) Love the before and after photos – what a difference – oh my!!! Well done!

• Laurel says:

Pretty scary that I let my office get that grim before hey?? It feels sooo good to have completed the transformation so I can finally just enjoy it!!

5. Jody says:

Looks rad!

6. Nancy says:

Great job, very inspiring! Really love the desk, chair and shelving. Such happy colours :)

• Laurel says:

Thanks Nancy, jessica, renee and jody!! i know I feel so much more inspired in here than I did before it was reno’d… No excuses for lame blog posts:)

7. Prudence says:

Did I just saw a Vogue Book?. That totally Rocks! <3

8. Whitney says:

Oh my gorgeous! I love everything about this!! I have an @ sign above my desk too. So so fun!

9. Carrie Ruble says:

What a stunning transformation! I want this room…LOL…and everything just as is. I LOVE it!

10. Laurel says:

Wow…thanks for the compliment, Carrie! I am thrilled to finally have a space to work in that doesn’t make my mind a jumbled mess:) I’m glad others find it fun, too:) Have a wonderful weekend!

11. Olivia says:

I love your desk, looks awesome. What store did you buy it from?!

• Laurel says:

Hi there! I actually found the desk on Haute Look (www.hautelook.com) Ironically, i was just checking out the site yesterday and saw that it’s back on for sale..under the Home category! I love mine:)

12. Melissa says:

I realize this is an older post, but can I ask what the bulletin board is wrapped with? Is it a frame or material? I’d like to repeat this in my office.

Great blog!

• Laurel says:

Thanks so much Melissa! The bulletin board is made by wrapping a couple of layers of cork over a light piece of plywood backing that came with the frame. The frame was an old mirror frame, made of a lightweight metal. A couple coats of spray paint did the job! Hope this helps:)