I’m trying to be better about what I eat. I seem to jump on and off the healthy eating wagon much too often these days! Clean eating for me usually means a dinner of lean protein and grilled veggies….no carbs, no sugar. But with the colder weather setting in, I just feel like comfort food. So I looked up some Paleo-friendly chicken chili recipes and combined a few to make up my own. The result is really much more like a soup or stew. It isn’t thick enough to be a chili, but it’s super packed with flavor and really good for you.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 red peppers chopped
- 1½ jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cans green chilies
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3 teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 4 Tablespoons cilantro
- 2 avocados, diced
- Heat olive oil at medium heat in a dutch oven and saute garlic and onions under tender.
- Add the chicken and saute until opaque and cooked through.
- Add carrots, celery, red pepper and jalapeno and cook until veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add green chilies and spices and stir.
- Add chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add can of coconut milk and heat through.
- Garnish with cilantro and avocado.
Ok, so the kids need carbs! They are WAY more active than I, so I served it with oat and sunflower bread from Duft & Co. No, I didn’t try it..booooo!! But it was super tempting!
When I packed up the leftovers for the girls for their dinner at the dance studio, I cooked up some multigrain fusilli and added it to the soup. It thickened it up a bit and they loved it!
The result….this clean eating chicken soup was a hit with the fam and left me super satisfied. I have a feeling this soup will be on our dinner table a lot this winter!