Why do carrots with the long green tops taste better? i don’t know if it’s just in my head…but they taste different. Better. That slightly earthy taste brings me back to picking carrots out of our neighbours garden and devouring them without a thought of doing anything more than rubbing them quickly against my pants to get rid of the biggest clumps of dirt. You know the saying…God made dirt and…well, i don’t think it hurt!
This recipe for Farmhouse Carrots is perfect for these out-of-the-garden carrots. The finished product isn’t mushy…but rather, tender crisp orange roots with a sweet and rustic twist. Thanks to the Sprouted Kitchen for once again making veggie prep healthful, simple and delicious.
Warm the honey, butter and cider vinegar. Add chopped herbs and green onions.
Carrots trimmed and scrubbed clean
Line baking sheet with foil/parchment paper. Coat and toss carrots in the herb mixture on pan.
Roast for approx 20 minutes… as the carrots roast and the honey caramelizes, the color just keeps getting better.
The leftovers were a perfect addition to my salad at lunch the following day…
FARMHOUSE CARROTS from the Sprouted Kitchen// Serves 4
2 Bunches Carrots (about 15ish carrots)
1 Cup Thinly Sliced Spring Onion (my local grocer was out of spring onions, so i substituted its close relative, green onions)
1/4 Cup Roughly Chopped Savory*
2 Tbsp. Honey
1 1/2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
Fresh chives for garnish
* If you cannot find fresh savory, I would use three parts fresh thyme to one part rosemary as an alternative.
Oven to 400′
1. In a small bowl, warm the butter, honey and cider vinegar together. Break apart the rings of the spring onion. Add the slices and the chopped savory into the honey mixture and let it all marinate. Set aside.
2. Cut off the green leafy parts and clean the carrots with a scrub brush. Leave them on a dish towel to dry completely.
3. Line a baking try with foil or parchment paper (I didn’t do this, and I wish I did, much easier to clean). Spread out the carrots in a single layer. Drizzle the honey mixture over and gently toss to coat. Generously sprinkle coarse salt and pepper.
4. Roast on the upper rack for 20 minutes. Carrots should be tender but still have a good bit of resistance too them. Only babies like moosh carrots. Garnish with fresh chives.