In our travels recently, we’ve been seeing some food trends emerging in restaurants. We’ve been willing to go out there and try some and our taste buds have thanked us….well…most of the time! Ok, avocado and chocolate just don’t work together…you can skip that combo!
Here’s what’s trending now that we give the plums up to…
1. Fresh herbs that are usually used in savory foods incorporated into sweet things, like….
- Basil gelato – Jason tried this at Bottega in Napa and it was delish and refreshing!
- Lemon and rosemary muffin at Peels. The signature muffin in the East Village restie in New York is probably the yummiest muffin I’ve had! I’ve tried to replicate it but haven’t succeeded yet.
- Cilantro in cocktails such as the Green Day at Auberge du Soleil in Napa. One of Lo’s faves!
- Sugared rosemary with peach pie….this is a seasonal dessert at Wayfare Tavern in San Fran. If it’s available when you are there, DON’T miss it!
2. Pork, pork and more pork Is it the year of the pig? We have been seeing bacon used in treats like cookies and cupcakes for a while and now we are seeing pork belly sandwiches (try the mantou at Bao Bei in Vancouver) and tenderloin wrapped in pork belly and roasted for sammies at Il Cane Rosso in the Ferry Building in San Fran….that yummy crispiness makes chicken skin look like child’s play!
3. Braised short ribs A version of this is on the menu at most modern resties. We just had them at Bottega in Napa and all I could say was…..”oh……..” Yup, that good! Smoky and salty deliciousness! One of Jason’s faves right now is the short rib sandwich at Brambles locally here in Abbotsford. The braised beef is perfectly paired with the robust flavors of caramelized onions and smoked gouda.
4. Bone marrow I’ve tried this a few different ways. I can be crisped up and served as a side with a steak and I’ve also had it on as bone marrow cheezy bread at The Flying Pig in Yaletown and Gastown in Vancouver.
5. Southern food amped up We are talking fried chicken and waffles. It’s been on the menu at The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar in Langley and both Laurel and Scott have had it and loved it! The organic fried chicken at Wayfare Tavern is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside and totally notched up with the crispy herbs. They also serve the filet with onion rings! Deviled eggs are making a comeback too! But this round includes some yummy additions like pancetta, peas, avocado and truffle oil!
Laurel and I both love trying new foods and flavors…you can probably tell from our Instagrams feeds! We especially love the focus at many resties of using local produce and naming the farms and sources that they get their meat, fish and other ingredients from from!!