I created this salad as fall’s answer to the summer classic tomato, bocconcini and basil salad. As the weather changes, I still appreciate salads, but they need to take on different flavours. I really love the combo of the sweet peaches with the salty pancetta. And the basil dressing adds some nice, earthy flavour.
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1½ Tablespoons honey
- 1 cup basil leaves
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 150 grams cubed pancetta
- 5-6 cups greens
- 3 peaches or nectarines
- 200 grams cocktail bocconcini
- For the dressing, put olive oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, basil, salt and pepper in Nutribullet or blender and blend together.
- Put cubed pancetta in frying pan on medium heat.
- Cook until fat has rendered from pancetta and it is crispy.
- Remove pancetta from pan with a slotted spoon put on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Slice peaches or nectarines and slice cocktail bocconcini into thirds.
- Put greens, sliced peaches, sliced bocconcini, and cooked pancetta into a serving bowl and toss with dressing.
The dressing uses very simple, fresh ingredients.
I buy pre-cubed pancetta like this one. You can cook up the pancetta in advance and store in the fridge. If you have a hard time finding pancetta, you can also use prociutto. Just cut it up and cook it in a bit of olive oil as it doesn’t have as much fat as pancetta. This dressing will last for a few days in the fridge and you will likely have extra.
This salad has been a fall fave for dinner in our house and it’s a great one to serve guests too! It would work well for lunch as an entree with some grilled chicken or prawns.