My kids right now are totally into instant oatmeal. There were definitely into it when they were little, and they’ve come back around to it! I guess it’s quick and easy breakfast and somewhat filling. I looked up oatmeal packets on Pinterest and found various recipes to make this quick breaky even more healthy.
Two key ingredients really amp up the fiber and protein…chia and oat bran. Using a healthy sweetener also makes a big difference. Here’s the base recipe…
- ½ cup minute or instant oats
- 1 Tablespoon oat bran
- 1½ teaspoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon date sugar or other sweetener
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Put all ingredients in a snack size Ziploc bag.
- Add boiling water and enjoy!
To this base recipe you can add in different ingredients. Here are some ideas…
- add crushed apple chips
- add dried sour cherries and sliced almonds
- add coconut and cocoa powder
- add peanut butter powder and crushed banana chips
- add craisins and dried orange peel
- add protein powder
These packets are perfect for travelling. Run hot water through the hotel’s coffee machine or Keurig and you are good to go. You can also add water and microwave.